Kayaking has appeared in Halong Bay since the early 90s of the last century. At first, kayaking is mainly for foreigners who are adventurous. Up to date, the domestic visitors, especially the active young people who love exploring, are also very interested in this type of tourism. So what to prepare for the trip with the kayaking in Halong Bay? Let's take a look at the following article.
What to prepare?
Before getting on the boat, the guide will instruct you in detail. Each kayak has two paddlers with two life jackets. Initially, the kayak may not move under control easily, but after understanding how to control the paddle, you will enjoy the pleasure of seeing the fishing village, watching the work of fishermen at the beach or admiring the limestone islands in a close distance.
- You should paddle near the foot of the rock since you will discover a very new feeling: The winds through the mountain ridge are very cool and the clam densely clumping in the foothills creates many unique shapes.
- When kayaking, do not bring your camera and phone to avoid dropping them into the water. If you want to save the beautiful moment, when you get off the boat you can ask your guide to take some pictures for you.
- When sailing kayak, you should wear the wide and comfortable clothes. You should not wear skirts or jeans.
- Wear a hat and a pair of sunglasses when sailing to avoid sunlight and seawater splashing into the eyes.
- If 2 ladies are in the same boat, they should go with the tour guide so that he or she can support you at any time.
- Do not play around or stand up when rowing.
- When you are disoriented, you should ask the tour guide or your teammates for help.
- You should follow the delegation, not the other direction.
- Especially, you should not row too fast or too slow. Keep the medium speed in order not to consume too much energy.
How to paddle a kayak in Halong Bay
In order to find the position of the hand on the paddle, let the arms be parallel to the middle, and wide as your shoulder. When you put the paddle over the top of the head, the elbow should be about 90 degrees. The length of the tongue and body of the paddle outside your handheld position should be the same.
The paddle is divided into two types: feathered or non-feathered. The "non-feathered" paddles are arranged with two chevrons lying on the same straight line and a flat surface. The "feathered" rowing grinder is not the same. They are diverged to a certain angle.
The rotary paddle is designed so that one hand is always in control. This controlling hand will rotate the paddle at each row so that the paddle exposures to the water at the most effective angle. Most paddles dropping cascades are controlled by the right hand. Most of the travel paddles have a removable handle that allows changing the hand control and the angle between the two paddle pads.
The hand control are handy depending on the personal preference, not necessarily determined by your preferred hand. The basic rowing style is rowing forward. Place the paddle over the water at the tip of your foot, and then pull it back to the hip. Lift the paddle up and row on the other side.
Styles of kayaking Halong Bay
Low-angle kayaking is a relaxed oar with slow-moving rhythms, effective for a long journey. The angle of the paddle is flatter (horizontally) when entering the water, so the low-angle paddles are usually flatter and slightly longer for the high-angle paddles.
High-angle kayaking is a more powerful oar with a faster rhythm, which is preferred if you find it important to accelerate and maneuver underwater because it needs more thrust for each paddle. This is also a good option for exercising.
Notes for kayaking Halong Bay
Kayak is easy to use. Let's start experimenting with calm water, you'll be able to gradually adapt to the feeling of sitting on a boat and boating technique, climbing out and entering the cockpit. Long paddles will allow you to paddle with longer steps but slower than short paddles. When rowing, loosen your hands. Do not need to hold them too tight.
Where to rent a kayak? How much is it?
Kayaks are made of composite plastic, cast rubber or inflatable boats with oars. For a kayaking experience to explore Halong Bay, you can join the night cruise on the bay with luxury yachts. Since this is an activity on the tour, most cruise ships are equipped with kayaks to let visitors discover themselves in safe and beautiful locations.
Coming to Halong Bay, you can also take the boat to places such as Ti Top Island, Sung Sot cave, Bo Nau Cave, and Vung Vieng fishing village. There is a kayak rental service, for about 150,000 VND/hours (about 7$/hour). It can be found at the pier or in the islands.
Which locations in Halong are suitable to be explored by kayak?
All the areas such as Hang Luon, Ba Trai Dao, Ba Ham, Dau Be, and Hang Co cave are suitable places for kayaking.
"A young & wild Asian wanderer who love traveling, writing and sharing his travel experience to audiences who are planning to Asia. To him, life is about traveling and his journey has just started."