Phu Quoc Island Guide – An Overview Of The Pearl Island In Vietnam
The beautiful Phu Quoc Island is a sea paradise attracting a lot of tourists. If you are planning for the summer trip to Phu Quoc, however, you do not know where to start or how to go, let’s take a look at the following travel experience in Phu Quoc.
Introduction of Phu Quoc Island
Phu Quoc Island has both forests and mountains, with the area of 1320km2 and the population of about 80 thousand people.
Phu Quoc owns the most beautiful beaches and the most delicious seafood in Vietnam. The mountain and forest system of Phu Quoc has created a wonderful destination with fine white sand beaches and ancient fishing villages.
Best time to travel Phu Quoc
Phu Quoc has a tropical monsoon climate with two distinct seasons: the dry season (from November to April) and the rainy season (from May to October) with a temperature of 28 degrees Celsius. Therefore you can travel to Phu Quoc in any time of the year, however, the best time to visit Phu Quoc is the dry season (from October to March or lasting until May) when the sea is quiet and it has less rain.
Transportations to Phu Quoc
There are two ways: by plane and by train or bus.
The plane to Phu Quoc
If you plan to travel to Phu Quoc Island by airplane early, you can book cheap airfares.
The regular air fares in promotions of the above airlines usually range from 950,000VND to 1.7 million VND/2 ways (42$-75$).
The flight ticket from Rach Gia to Phu Quoc is very expensive, so you should take a high-speed train to save money.
The buses to Phu Quoc
In Western Bus Station, you buy tickets from HCM to Rach Gia (or Ha Tien) and from Rach Gia (Ha Tien), you buy tickets to Phu Quoc Island. The ticket price is 150,000 VND (7$)
The cruise to Phu Quoc Island
• From Rach Gia to Phu Quoc, the ticket price is 350,000VND (15$) for adults and 250,000VND (11$) for children at the age of from 6 to 11.
• From Ha Tien to Phu Quoc, the ticket price is 230,000VND (10$) for adults and 160,000VND (7$) for children.
The beautiful and cheap hotels in Phu Quoc
As one of the attractive tourist attractions, Phu Quoc has many accommodations from budget hotels to luxury resorts. Here are some suggestions for you:
– Hiep Thoai Hotel at 65 Tran Hung Dao Street (17$/night)
– Galaxy Hotel at 77 Tran Hung Dao Street (29$/night)
– Montana Resort (28$/night)
– Richis Beach Resort at 90 Tran Hung Dao Street (110$/night)
– Vinpearl Phu Quoc (200$/night).
The tourist attractions in Phu Quoc
The tourist destinations in Phu Quoc are concentrated in three main areas: the East, the North and the South of the Island. Below is a suggestion of locations in each area you can refer.
To the East of Phu Quoc Island
- Ham Ninh fishing village with the features of the ancient fishing village in the past, especially it is also an ideal place to watch the sunrise or sunset. In addition, there are many kinds of delicious seafood you can enjoy or buy as gifts. The seawater is clean and clear.
- Tranh stream tourist area: the water here in the middle of the green trees creates a beautiful picture. However, If you come here in the dry season, There will be no water.
- Phu Quoc fish sauce factories: Phu Quoc is famous for its delicious and special fish sauce. Coming here, you will be able to visit the large barrels to explore the fish sauce process.
To the North of Phu Quoc Island
- Phu Quoc is famous for its pungent pepper gardens with distinct aroma different from other places. Coming here, you will be able to admire the green pepper gardens and have the opportunity to take beautiful pictures in the beautiful gardens.
- About 4.5km from Duong Dong to the north is the Phu Quoc dog farm. In here you can study about the wildlife of this rare and famous dog. Moreover, if you are an animal enthusiast you can buy a dog.
- Phu Quoc National Park will give you the opportunities to explore the forest, enjoy the cool air and admire the rich vegetation in here.
- Ganh Dau Cape is the place for you to admire the beautiful wild nature. Especially from here you can see the sea border of Cambodia.
To the South of Phu Quoc Island
- Phu Quoc prison restores the historical marks of national heroes.
- Coi Nguon Museum is the place where you will explore the places for culturing pearls, especially the process of collecting pearls.
- An Thoi port is the ideal place for you to go fishing, relax and watch the beautiful coral reefs
- Sao Beach where you cannot miss if you are a sea lover: It is famous for its white sand and clear sea water that can be seen at the bottom.
Fun activities in Phu Quoc
Along with exploring the famous tourist attractions, you can also participate in interesting activities in Phu Quoc
- Diving under the sea to watch beautiful coral reefs
- Squid Fishing at night
- Going to the national park to experience ecotourism and explore the famous islands
- Discovering Vinpearl Phu Quoc entertainment area with many interesting games
Shopping in Phu Quoc
You can go to Dinh Cau night market , An Thoi market or Duong Dong market to buy fresh seafood, dried fish, and dried squid… Besides, you can go to Coi Nguon Museum to buy souvenirs, handicrafts or the hand-made pearl jewelry.
In Ham Ninh Fishing Village, there are many specialties such as wine, mushrooms and Ham Ninh crabs which you can buy as gifts for your family and friends.
What to eat in Phu Quoc
Traveling in Phu Quoc, you will have the opportunities to enjoy many delicious specialties.
1. Herring salad (30,000VND or 1.5$/dish)
- Le Giang (Tran Hung Dao Street – KP1 – Duong Dong Town)
- Trung Duong (Area 1, 30/4 road, Duong Dong town)
- Vuon Tao (Cua Lap Ward, Duong To Commune, Phu Quoc District)
2. Ham Ninh crabs (100,000-150,000VND or 4.5$- 6.5$/kg)
Recommended address: Ham Ninh Fishing Village restaurant, Rach Ham Ward, Ham Ninh Center
3. Grilled Snails with salt and chili, grilled squid and oysters… are delicious dishes you should enjoy when visiting Phu Quoc. Each dish is priced from 30,000-50,000VND or 1.3$-2.2$/plate.
Recommended restaurants in Phu Quoc:
- Quoc Anh Restaurant: 30/4 street – Area I, Duong Dong town.
- Zen Restaurant: 30/4 street, Duong Dong town.
- Gio Bien Restaurant: Mui Duong Beach – Chuong Vich – Ganh Dau.
- Viet Xua Restaurant: Hung Vuong – Duong Dong – Phu Quoc.
Some notes when traveling to Phu Quoc
- Buy a map of Phu Quoc for your convenience in moving.
- Check the weather to make sure you have the right arrangements before you go.
- Bring some essential items such as swimwear, sunscreen …
- Do not swim at noon and avoid soaking in water for too long.
- Please check carefully before buying to avoid counterfeit goods if you buy products from pearls.
- Do not enter the restricted or unexploited areas.
Above are some experiences we want to share with you. We hope that they will be helpful for your trip.