Nem nuong cuon (Vietnamese Spring Roll) – The Delicious Food for Cold Weather in Vietnam
Vietnamese cuisine is rich and cannot be described in words. Only by experiencing the delicious food that makes the brand of Vietnamese cuisine, the diners can feel the essence of the culinary art in the S-shaped country. The foreign visitors, especially foreign culinary experts, value Vietnamese food as a delicate balance between the taste, color, and processing way. With only a raw material, Vietnamese people can cook a variety of dishes, making specialties in each region. According to CNN, "one of the things that makes the brand name of Vietnamese cuisine is the rolled dishes." and "Nem nuong cuon" is one of the most attractive rolled dishes of Vietnamese cuisine.
The delicious "Nem nuong cuon" has a good smelling. It is often rolled with raw vegetables and rice papers. Besides, the special sauce which is mixed nicely makes this dish more delicious. Your lunch will be great for Nem nuong cuon. "Nem nuong cuon" wrapped by the rice paper is considered as one of the best dishes of Vietnamese cuisine!
I. The origin of "Nem nuong cuon"
The origin of "Nem nuong cuon" is in Ninh Hoa, a district of Khanh Hoa, more than 30km from Nha Trang city. In the center of Nha Trang city, the flavor and quality of "Nem nuong cuon" are no different than that in Ninh Hoa. Nem nuong cuon (Vietnamese grilled pork sausage or grilled meatball) is pork mixed with some kinds of spices and then wrapped around a bamboo stick and grilled on a charcoal stove. The special smell of it is very attractive and unforgettable.
The dish is not difficult to cook but is sophisticated in the way of eating. A full serving of "Nem nuong cuon" includes grilled pork sausages, crisply fried rice paper, raw vegetables, green mangoes, carrots, pickled onions, cucumbers, sour star fruit and green bananas. Each ingredient is rolled on a thin rice paper into rolls and dipped in the sauce. The success or failure of this dish depends on the sauce. There are different types of sauces, but the sauce always consists of processed pork, soy sauce, sugar, salt, garlic, chili and some other spices. When eating, the diner will add a little chopped minced chili, more or less depending on each person.
II. How to make "Nem nuong cuon"
The way of processing "Nem nuong cuon" is not too complicated. The steps are as follows:
- Carrots are cut into the long fibers (it should be noted that the too small fibers will be difficult to fry).
- Onions soaked in the ice and a little salt for 15 minutes to remove pungent smell. After that the onion is cut into thin slices
- Bean sprouts are soaked in salt water for 20 minutes and then washed thoroughly.
- Mushrooms are soaked in water and then finely chopped.
- Place the pan on the stove and place the oil on the pan until it is boiling. Fry the garlic quickly. When the garlic is yellow and fragrant, put the garlic in a clean bowl.
- Mushrooms are cooked for 3 minutes.
- Put the mushrooms in the pan with the carrots, add some salt and sugar and then stir-fry until the carrots are well done. Add the onion and garlic together with the bean sprouts in the pan; fry them quickly and turn off the stove.
- Next, cover the rice papers on a flat surface. Put a spoon of the prepared mixture in the center of the rice paper. Fold the two sides of the rice paperback (to prevent the filling from falling off, you should not put too much filling in the rice paper. If not, the rice paper will be torn).
- Do the same with the remaining mixture and then sprinkle the cooking oil on the surface of the rolls.
- For a 175-degree oven, bake for 15 to 20 minutes to complete.
The dish is served along with raw vegetables together with sweet and sour sauce.
Put the pan on the heat. Add 1 tablespoon of cooking oil, onion and then the pig liver into the pan and stir-fry them. Grill the shrimp; add a little water to dissolve and stir the grilled shrimp with the mixture above. Add 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, mix them until you have got well – blended dense liquid, then add 1 teaspoon of salt to have the special sauce for Nem nuong cuon.
III. How to eat Nem nuong cuon
Wrap the grilled pork sausage with the rice paper, vegetables, and fried rice paper. Dip the rolled into the sauce and enjoy. "Nem nuong" has the aromatic flavor of the grilled pork sausage, combined with the aroma of vegetables and the sourness of star fruit, and the graciousness of the sauce, creating an unforgettable dining scene in the heart of every visitor coming to discover Vietnamese culture.
* Recommended addresses to enjoy the best Nem nuong cuon
Nha Trang has many delicious and clean restaurants, for example:
- Nha Trang Restaurant at 39 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai Street.
- Ngoc Tien Restaurant at 59 Le Thanh Phuong Street.
- The most famous ones are Dang Van Quyen restaurants at 4 Phan Boi Chau Street and 16A Lan Ong street. When you come here, if you stand at the fork and look around, you will see a lot of "Dang Van Quyen restaurants". Do not panic, they all share a store, just because this restaurant is too big.
Do not need to go to the coastal city of Nha Trang, even in Saigon, you still can enjoy this specialty with your family and friends.
Nem nuong Ganh restaurant
- Average price: about 60,000-132,000VND.
- Address: 58/4 Pham Ngoc Thach, District 3.
Hoang Tam restaurant
- Average price: about 25,000-121,000VND.
- Address: 22/1 Nguyen Canh Chan, Cau Kho Ward, District 1
Nem nuong Ninh Hoa restaurant
- Average price: 50,000 VND
- Address: 181C1 Cach Mang Thang Tam, Ward 5, District 3.
Nem Vietnam restaurant
- Average price: from 20,000 to 88,000VND.
- Address: 46 Kha Van Can, Linh Tay Ward, Thu Duc Dist
Nem nuong Da Lat restaurant
- Average price: only from 20,000 to 61,000VND.
- Address: 602 Pham The Hien Street, Ward 4, District 8.
- Average price: 30,000-120,000VND.
- Address: 150/37 Nguyen Trai Street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh city.
There are also some suggested restaurants in the capital city of Vietnam
Nem nuong Nha Trang restaurant at Hang Bong street
- Average price: 50,000 VND
- Address: 202 Hang Bong Street
Xuan Dan restaurant
- Average price: 58,000-185,000 VND
- Address: 155B, Doi Can Street.
Nem nuong Nha Trang restaurant
- Facility 1: No. 5, Lane 495, Nguyen Trai
- Facility 2: No. 86, Lane 203, Hoang Quoc Viet
- Reception hours: 10:00 a.m to 9:30 p.m
- Price: 60,000VND/person
The eatery at the area of Academy of Agriculture
- Average price: 20,000 - 100,000VND
- Address: Duong Y, Gia Lam
Nem nuong cuon is a popular dish to many people, including the foreign guests. Come to Vietnam; enjoy this dish to have fun experiences in your own way!